Monday, November 18, 2013

Forever House #38

Saturday 16th November, 2013
Mango!
I've had a good day. Slept eight hours without stirring - that's always a good thing. Chopped up and ate a delicious fruit salad with almonds this morning before going down to the house at seven thirty to begin my working day. The pile of dirt left over from digging the pad for the water tank was all soft and easy to work with after several recent showers. And being under the western eave of the house, it was cool and shady for that work, at that time of the morning. I was pleased with myself after filling four barrows full.
A full water tank at hand, at last - and hose
The water collection was so easy today because the new water tank is full and I had a hose fitting for it this time. Ahhh... The simple things in life...

I still had sand from last visit, so chopped enough straw for two days and set it to soaking.

The top of the walls have to be wet down where the new mud is to lay, so I did that a few times during the morning. Hot days dry the water out quickly. I mixed up two huge loads of mud and got to laying it.

Phil the man who is is re-sizing my doors for me called past when he saw my car. He was on his way home from Currawinya after five days working for neighbours. It was good to see him and show him where the doors will hang. He says he's already done one and a half of the four doors he took a couple of weeks ago. And he is working on the others on Monday. All these little bits of progress are so satisfying. Phil left and back up the scaffolding I went to get that lot of mud done. Time for my one coffee for the day and some lunch.
A light Dad had that I will use for the front entry
As I set the milk to heating I could hear what sounded like a muffled radio. I followed the sound and found my dear Mum and Dad had driven out to have lunch with me - and they couldn't have timed it better. They had a good look around. We ate and chatted on the front verandah for a good couple of hours. I wasn't worried about time because the couple of internal walls I am working on only take five loads of mud each row. I can only lay one a day - a second row would make the first row slump.

I don't get to sit and yarn with my folks all to myself very often - and in such a quiet beautiful setting. We had a lush downpour while we sat. The eaves on the verandah are nice and deep and it is generally well protected.  Mum's very keen to paint a wall when we get to that. Which isn't too far away if all goes to the timeline.

After waving them off I mixed three further loads of mud and layed it.
One mixer load, on average is a fifteen shovels of dirt, a tin of sand, three hands full of straw (preferably wet), and water to get it to the right consistency, less water than usual at the moment due to the soil holding moisture.

Next time I come out I'll complete mudding the current walls up to the ceiling. And I'm hoping I can paint the ceiling and walls the same weekend - but that is quite ambitious and probably unrealistic. We'll see.
I brought some Bond Crete with me today to trial spraying a one to four mix with water on to the brushed down wall, and then after half an hour drying time, painted a couple of patches  on top of that with water base paint. I had two kinds - some clay paint Susan gave me and a gloss outdoor paint. The bond crete spray had a wonderful effect on the wall - sealed beautifully. I don't know what I was worried about. I was trying to do the purist thing and use limewashes and prickly pear snot etc - because I "wanted the walls to breath!". But I also want something that is a really good base for whatever else it requires over time. And I don't want the walls to give off any dirt or lime. This process is really easy and it will look amazing. So I can't see why I shouldn't buy some white satin water based paint and a large tin of Bond Crete and go for it. It will be transforming - I'm very excited.
 
Sunday 17th November, 2013
I went a bit mad in the mud and bath rooms after finishing my row of mud on Sunday. I took a trowl to the mud around each bottle cleaning them up and giving them a wash. I also filled any larger cracks or holes with fresh mud so that when painting it will be a better surface. The bottles looked bright. Mud is so amicable a material.
And after that, the trusty Triton and I pulled out five lantanas. Chipping away at it. Then a swim of course before heading home till next time.We won't talk about the starter motor - suffice to say I used her as little as possible, I left the motor on when it was reasonable, and I said encouraging things to her and some prayers which all seemed to help keep any incidents to a minimum.
Bond creted wall up to ceiling above clean and tidy bottles
Patching the holes and large cracks ready for painting
I'm taking a week's holiday after Christmas New Year which means I'll be out at the farm for about eight days early January. Hopfully Jeff will be there for whatever time he can spare too. That could well see the next stage of the mudding, around the two internal walls of the main bedroom, finished. Yes I think that is the plan. In the meantime my friends and I will be working on our various tasks - mine being to compete the bathroom and mudroom, tiles, painting walls and doors, plumbing, etc all done.

By Christmas?! I have two more long weekends before then, and Jeff would come out on both, Dave will be back to assist. There's a good chance. I have to make a glass panel for the external bathroom door seeing as I stole the original to use as the front door. And I have to get some sandstone to build part of the shower recess. A plinth for the shower screen. Some mini orb, a shower and taps, and also make a mirror. Oh, and some metal and timber for Dave to go on with when he returns. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Susans mosaic was cool as are the tiles and lights you bought they will look so good in the house. Great progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - Susan is an artist and it shows. I love the Melbourne touches too. They have a history already. Cheers, D

      Delete
  2. Good to read the progress Well done Looking forward to seeing the hard work next time
    Tyna King

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tyna - nice to see you - in writing anyway! Please do call in when you are out at the farm. Even if I am not there feel free to have a look around. Be careful - it is a work site. It feels good to finally have it all coming together. D x

      Delete