Thursday, June 22, 2017

Forever House #49


form work for the cement corners
and Lolly's renovated French doors in situ
Tuesday 6th June 2017
Unbelievably, after all the strife I've been in with my right arm and more recently left neck , I've had two good night's sleep - no numbness and no need to sleep upright.


Over the weekend I've been continuously heating the wheat bag and laying it on my neck. I've also been heating up a hot water bottle for bed time to use when the wheat bag cools down.

I bought the hot water bottle out to the farm just in case. Ronnie was just saying, by the fire, that a hot water bottle would be good in the camper trailer. He was very pleasantly surprised and keen when I told him I'd brought one out with me and that he could have it.

The windows go in. Tthe metal work and blocks get straightened up
ready for the corrugated iron to go above it all.


So today started with porridge and coffee by the fire with a fog forming all around us.

Then it was straight into making cement to fill the formed up corners of the block work that Ronnie had prepared earlier. These needed to be done so he can get on with running the metal flashings around the outside above the block walls, and then the corrugated iron.  He's re-done some of the metal framework so that the lines of screws in the tin cladding will be straight. And he's trimmed the top of the block wall - which was like a roller coaster - so that the corrugated iron has a straight edge rather than having to cut it to follow the undulations as they were. Such is the perfectionism of Ronnie! I get that in the end the finish will be amazing and these seemingly fastidious things will make all the difference.

Ronnie making frames for window openings
(these are for the bird highlights)

Among other windows, Ronnie put my bird highlight window up. Oh my... much excitement.
The green frame inside the oiled timber jams looks fab. A momentous day.
One of two bird highlight windows goes up (missing one pane).


I just have to solder the remaining pane of this first window, and the five panes of the second window and install them in the frames - sometime after Ronnie has gone. They are theoretically part of bringing the house to lock up but not crucial at this stage. More pressing is getting the bedroom windows sorted for installation while I still have Ronnie here.

I love this photo at twilight looking back up at the house with the moon just rising






the friction hinges off the old windows
before
I got on with renovating the friction hinges that belong to the bank of six old windows in the main bedroom. They came up a treat. I'll be attempting to get two of the windows undercoated and painted and re-glazed tomorrow for Ronnie to install when he can.then two the following week and two the final week. It's great that he is coming back for a further two weeks to complete the lock up. He, like I, just wants to see the house finished.
and after
I have scraped, steel wool-ed and sprayed with stuff
to protect them and make them slide better.
I had bought silver spray but the brass mechanisms
are way too beautiful to cover up with paint.





the renovated shower - now with pully system

Salmon, sweet potato, broccolini and corn for dinner Yum.
I made sure I had my shower before dark, cosied up in bed under two doonas, with my hoody and a head torch on. Ready for sleep - fingers crossed my arm copes well again tonight.

Wednesday 7th June 2017
inside
outside











Aloe vera growing prolifically

Off came the form work to reveal the concreted block work corners had worked a treat. 




Window furniture before renovating

beautiful brass door furniture to go on bedroom windows
one of six windows sanded
and blue undercoated

2 coats of green ready for glazing
and then final coad
another section of the lock up
getting sorted by Ronnie...
a plank of hardwood recycled to sit above the kitchen window

the rock wall that still exists post fire back in 2000.
A close up of I my filthy rear canopy window
which I left open over the two days I was there...
When I went to pack up and looked up at the window
this is what the elements had created out of the dirt...
a magnificent masterpiece. Awe-some
the smiley face was drawn on the window prior - when it was just dirty -
by a man in a servo who was thanking me for moving my car
so he could get fuel while I went in to pay for mine haha

No comments:

Post a Comment