Saturday, July 8, 2017

Forever House #52



Hahaha this is pretty funny I reckon - reduced version of the drone footage created by my friend Pete out at Currawinya. He forgot the Forever House name and called it Long Time House which is almost a better name... and his production makes me laugh each time I watch it - hope you enjoy. There's a lot of the roof and surrounds - I can't wait till he is good enough to fly his drone through the house! Thanks heaps Pete. x

Mum opening the gate - dear love
Wednesday 5th July, 2017
Today was earmarked to go back out to the Forever House and collect the camper trailer now that Ronnie has finished with it for the time being. He is actually taking the camper trailer.

Mum came with me for the drive, and we met Ronnie and mate out there. Ronnie had to collect all his left behind tools, scaffolding and planks and his trusty camp chair. I towed the trailer back to his place

Metal finished apart from cnrs which will happen next time
As you can see from the pics, the last of the metal has been put up and most of the doors and windows have been hung and had lockable handles put on them (although I had to climb through a window to get in cause the keys were inside haha.)

Sliding doors washed and in although
weirdly one of them was 100ml narrower than the others.
I worked out - when Peter Mac took the excess over
to his and Quan's share many moons ago
he must have taken one of these by accident.
Ronnie has filled the gap with timber for now and
I will have to have a cover made later to fix permanently.


It is fab having the sliding doors on the big opening at the front - I bought those windows in 2004 and they have been laying in waiting all this time. One of them is not quite wide enough which was a bit confusing at first until I remembered I had given some windows, excess to my needs, to another Currawinyan way back in the day. He must have taken one of this set by accident as he picked through the pile. Nevermind - we will fill the gap with same coloured aluminium cover when Ronnie returns in November - for now it has timber filling it.
Sliding doors at long last - so good
Front door has a lockable handle on it now.
For completion it needs timber added to to the bottom
and stained glass panels installed

A number of things will wait for next time Ronnie is here - like the frame for the glass walls above the mud walls, and some of the doors and windows are fixed in place still to be hung and given handles. As I have said many times, I have so much to get on with, this is not an issue. I am very happy with the job Ronnie has done and where the house is up to.

panes of glass and coats of paint still needed but largely done








I will be getting on with stained glass while at home and cutting panels for the remaining glassless windows out at the farm. When we were there the other day it was apparent how confused the swallows have become with so many of their entry points closed off. I hope they work it out sooner than later because they will be damaging themselves on those large glass doors.
inside view


compare this view with the timeline pic at the top of this blog
to see the difference this push has made

view from mud room thru
kitchen
into dining and lounge

lockable mud room door
I have given myself July to catch up with myself at home after going out to the farm consistently for nine weeks. Managed to get a fireplace installed at home to see me through these cool evenings. It sits where my Jeff's desk and chair were in what was his workshop - where he spent all day most days - a fitting place from where to draw my warmth now. Got back into the surf and it was a relief to know I can still do it and love it as much as ever. Definitely wet suit weather. Catching up with a few more family and friends. And hopefully getting on top of some admin. Got to spray for bindies before it gets too late and my whole lawn becomes a pain in the feet.



I also hope to complete the mosaic floor I started in the bathroom late last year but which has been on the back burner for a while.




2 comments:

  1. I love that floor! Lock up stage is such a big achievement, I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jude - that is on the bathroom floor at home rather than the Forever House - its currently covered in sheets of cardboard and masonite unfinished awaiting the last pieces to be laid and then it all needs grouting. Lord knows why I am thinking I can complete it now when I still have such a ways to go with the Forever House - but I do set myself tasks a many!! we'll see. I had a wander through your blog again the other day - you are so close and yet so far from me when I am out that way! xx

    ReplyDelete