Monday, February 18, 2013

Forever House (#4)

9th February, 2013
thinking it might roll I made a quick exit passenger door left
a reccy of the changed crossing may have helped
My swim that afternoon was a skinny dip, against a reasonable current. a long slow swim up stream, with azure kingfishers swooping the top of the surface, flashing the most amazing colour and markings. Not in the least bit concerned about me. My favourite dragon flies sitting atop rocks and buzzing me - red, yellow, blue. Then, when I reached my regular turning point, a reedy island, release to a long slow float downstream.

The river crossing at my swimming hole is a bit wild at the best of times, and I noted that where there should have been a track emerging from the rocks on the far side, to head left to Phil's place, or right to Kent's, there was an impenetrable sand dune, a couple of metres high of pure white sand. It has been flooding in recent times - I felt bad that while in town dealing with the flooding there I hadn't wondered about Currawinya, where the Cataract River was quite high and fierce I was told, and the evidence of it clear when I saw it for myself. A good byproduct of this flood is that the rocks that had settled at the entrance of our swimming hole in the previous flood are now returned to sand - my happy feet.

Jason and Stan and the saved car, draining
A bad byproduct of this flood is that I mucked up crossing my friend's river crossing (changed from the flood), and got stuck in the river with water up to the right side of my driver's seat..and just below the air intake on the motor Jeff showed me later under the bonnet, after seeing these photos...
Bloody hell - poor Daff and Stan - they were taking turns to bathe and dress during my visit, to go for dinner at Lyn and Steve's. I was leaving so they could leave... but none of us got very far. Stan tried every which way to get me out with his tractor, but nothing. So thank God, Jason, a guy who lives half an hour away by tractor, drove down to save me. As luck would have it he was at home, and had the use of a massive tractor for two weeks. Otherwise I fear my car may still be in the river now!

Currawinya is always an adventure - I love that about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment