Monday, February 11, 2013

Forever House (#2)



Saturday 9th February, 2013
The humpy
Well today has been big. I woke when I felt like it this morning. I had slept under a sheet overnight but was wishing I had another layer by this morning; ended up doubling the sheet over and trying to stay within the narrowed cover. Didn't work... Thought about walking up to the letterbox and back, but decided 'I am here to work and I will get plenty of exercise if I just start'. I left my favourite sprouted date and walnut bread in the fridge at home, so opted for mango, yoghurt and slivered almonds and a pot of tea for breakfast. I have a tea pot out here. It came with the caravan. It's about a two and a half cupper, white china with a touch of gold trim. Matches the laminex!             
The dirt pile 2007
This evening, after my big day, I'm sitting at the table with an Ecco and two candles. I don't really have a great light out here. I did have a couple of gas lights which also came with the caravan but they ran out of gas, the bottles are way past their use-by date and can't be refilled. So usually I bring the rechargeable battery camp light but it was locked in Jeff's workshop. He's away; so I packed candles.

After breakfast I dressed in farm clothes and headed off to the dirt pile to commence digging by about ten. When I look at how much of the original dirt pile is gone, I realise how much mudding has actually been done. I only have a small amount left in comparison - of both dirt, and mudding to do. I just need to do it; regularly. That is the only way it is going to happen. I have committed to one weekend out here a month. But looking at that list would indicate I need to come out more often than that. I have come to the conclusion that I will ask Dave, a new guy living out here with his wife Gabbi. They recently bought the share that I was renting for fifteen months when I lived  here with my kids between 2004 and 2005. Stan's too busy it turns out after catching up with he and Daphne today. They thought Dave might be quite keen. I reckon I could budget about one hundred dollars a week - that would add up over time and there is heaps of time for that work to happen - Dave lives here and the housewarming is twenty months away. Yep... I'm on a mission!

The owners when I rented Dave and Gabbi's cottage were Shirley and Ron Gould - Shane Gould's Mum and Dad. They built it and lived there for twelve years, right up until the kids and I moved in. It was a doll's house when they left it - maybe not quite that when we left it. Shirley built a gorgeous stone dwelling up behind this house out of river stones. She used to stop in the Cataract River at 'Gould's Crossing', collect a bucket of rocks, usually give her car a bit of a wash at the same time, then she would go up and lay the rocks, a bucket at a time. The building was called 'Shirley's Temple' and hopefully always will be. I had an email the other day from one of the original Currawinyans, saying that Shirley is poorly, and suggesting that anyone who wanted to should write her an email. I did. I hope it is not inappropriate to include it here.


Gould's Cottage 2005
4th February 2013
Hey Shirley,
Donna here – I lived in yours and Ron’s storybook cottage at Currawinya in 2004-2005.
How are you... although that may be a rhetorical question because I heard through Murray that you are weak. I am very sorry to hear that you too, along with so many, have been bitten by the nasty cancer.
I hope you are as comfortable as possible.
Gould's Crossing
Thank Goodness you have been able to live an incredibly full and varied life. I wanted to send you a few words to acknowledge you and your kindness to my children, Spencer and Danika, and I, nearly nine years ago. I was then 46 I think and this year I will be 55 – my children were 10 and 9 – they are now 20 and nearly 19. To be able to move into that lovely little cottage for the 15 months we lived at Currawinya was such a relief – and I learned so much about fending for myself and my kids, and about my capabilities during that time. Considering I was a bit of a mess when I arrived – I think I was pretty strong and resilient by the time we had to head back to town in the July of 2005. You were a sweet support to me during that time – sending me little notes of encouragement.
Your lovely crossing and Shirley’s Temple were also ever present in our lives at that time – and your efforts were inspiring to me. I still have not finished my mud forever house – but you know all about Currawinya time, and I will get there. I have set the October long weekend in 2014 as the house warming – so I have a good 19 months to get it to lock up and able to be inhabited. My kids are living independently now, and I have remarried a couple of years ago – so I can again get out to Currawinya regularly and chip away.
All the very best to you and your family and I hope you are content with everything you achieved and experienced in your life.
Blessings to you, and again thanks for your part in our lives,
Love Donna Spencer and Danika xxxxx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment